- LESSUDDEN, a village, in the parish of St. Boswell's, district of Melrose, county of Roxburgh, 4 miles (E. S. E.) from Melrose; containing 399 inhabitants. The name of Lessudden, though often given to the parish, is more appropriately applied to this village. It is probably derived from Edwin, king of Northumbria, who had a fortress here; and in a charter of Robert II., by which the lands were granted to the abbey of Melrose, this place is called Lessedwin, signifying "the manor of Edwin." The village is beautifully situated in the north-eastern part of the parish, adjacent to the south bank of the Tweed, and on the high road from Melrose to Jedburgh; it is built at the east end of a spacious flat green, amid pleasant gardens, and in the neighbourhood of woods that overhang the Tweed. The air is salubrious; and from the advantages the village possesses, it is likely to increase in extent and population. A subscription library, containing more than a thousand volumes, was established here in 1799, under the patronage of Sir David Erskine, of Dryburgh Abbey.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
St. Boswells — infobox UK place country = Scotland official name= St Boswells gaelic name= scots name= St Boswells population = 1,086 (2001 Census) os grid reference= NT590305 map type=Scotland longitude= 2.645833 latitude=55.570833 unitary scotland= Scottish… … Wikipedia
Boswell's, St. — BOSWELL S, ST., a parish, situated in the district of Melrose, county of Roxburgh, 4 miles (S. E.) from Melrose; containing, with the village of Lessudden, 747 inhabitants. This place derives its name from its church, which is supposed to have … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Mertoun — MERTOUN, a parish, in the county of Berwick, 4½ miles (E. S. E.) from Melrose; containing 722 inhabitants. This parish is about six miles long and between two and three broad, and comprises 7000 acres; it is situated in the south western… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland